Friday, February 29, 2008

Bye-Bye Wheat

We added wheat back into our diet two days ago and it appears to affect both my son and I. We both get flushed cheeks - mine is rosacea like - and crabby. I also got a headache and the next day all my old joint issues returned. (I have struggled with tendonitis from my dancer days in just about every major joint below the waist.) The sad thing is that I never really noticed the crick in my knee or the twinge in my ankle go away, but boy did I notice them come back. We will try adding it in a few more times just to make sure these aren't isolated incidences but from the looks of things wheat will be something we eat in extreme moderation. Ah, bagels I sure will miss ya!

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh man- I know that is hard! Wheat is one of the most difficult things to do without!

Steph

momteacherfriend said...

Have you looked it celiac?
We went a few months without wheat when the boy was 1. Learned alot from it.
It will be difficult but with conscientious choices it is doable.
There are some great support networks both online and in many communities.

Owlhaven said...

I get achey joints and crankiness from wheat too. But oh, wheat is a tough one... I should dig out that cookie recipe for you that A. came up with for us.

Also you can make good pancakes with a combination of barley flour and ground oats....

Mary

Anna Marie said...

oh, yuck! Sorry!