Monday, January 21, 2008

Perserverance

This yeast cleanse diet has been putting us all to the test and for some reason I haven't prayed much about it until this morning when I stumbled upon this verse:

"Seek the Lord and His strength, seek His face always." 1 Chronicles 16:11 (emphasis mine)

It seems so obvious now to seek the Lords strength as David did and not try to do this all on my own.

Amazingly, last night at dinner we all happily ate plain sweet potatoes and realized just how sweet they actually are on their own. (Previously we'd been adding cinnamon - no sugar or sweeteners, just cinnamon for flavor.) I never thought I'd see the day when my husband said, "You know, I'm not even craving ice cream tonight!"

Granted, we are taking one day at a time but I'm very happy that we've decided to do this - I'm sure we are losing weight as well, an added bonus! We don't own a scale - I don't really feel they tell anything. Personally, I've always weighed more than it looks like I do, probably dense bones run in our family and heavy muscle mass. My son weighs more than some other kids his size too. Even still just weighing less to me isn't an indicator of the "in shape" factor so I find having a scale around annoying! Now that I've gone way out on a tangent here...

I do have to say shame, shame, shame on you food industry. I've been reading and researching and I don't like what I'm learning. Processed food items have sugar and other sweeteners hidden in them - almost all of them. Today, I wanted to save a little time by purchasing store bought chicken broth instead of making my own. Only one brand did I find (even the natural/organic ones) without sugar or cane juice or some sweetener. The food industry is smart, very smart, and all about their bottom line. They know if there is sugar or sweeteners in food we will eat more of it - and that means more $$$ for them and more pounds, weight and health issues for us. I've seen this first hand in my family, we are all getting full faster and staying full longer eating more whole, less processed foods.

The food industry isn't going to change on their own, it's going to have to be us that does the changing. The average American eats (I've found conflicting numbers here) from 20 - 40 teaspoons of sugar a day. (Even if it's just 20 that's 300 empty calories a day). To give you an idea how fast it adds up, a 12 ounce soda contains about 10 teaspoons, a 2 ounce package of candy contains about 11 teaspoons of sugar and frosted flakes cereal provides more than 4 teaspoons of sugar. By the way none of these number include the sugars naturally occurring in milk or fruits.

We've started using stevia which is an extraordinarily sweet herb -- 200-300 times sweeter than sugar. It has a slight licorice-like flavor that is only evident in bland recipes and we are getting used to it's sweet flavor. It is almost calorie-free, does not cause tooth decay and is a ZERO on the glycemic index so it does not trigger a rise in blood sugar. You won't get a sudden burst of energy followed by fatigue and a need for another "fix." Most importantly, it does not feed yeast or other microorganisms, and it increases energy and aids digestion by stimulating the pancreas.

The yeast connectionis a good place to start if you are wanting of more info. this link explains a simple saliva test that you can do at home. If this is more information than you ever wanted to know about sugar or Candida (yeast) please just ignore!!!!

7 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

Very interesting saliva test.
We are making changes around our house as well.
Totally agree with your comment about the food industry, shame on them.

I remember 6 years ago thinking we needed to have less hydrogenated and trans fats. Consumers voiced their concerns and now there are actually much healthier selections available. Yeah! Now, if we could get less sugar and other additives.

I will have to check into stevia. Never heard of it before.

momteacherfriend said...

Oh and a good book to read, even own, is The Family Nutrition Book by Dr. Sears. Check out my blog for a link to the book. I actually posted about it this morning.

Stephanie Appleton said...

That is interesting. Good for you and your family sticking with it!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

a very smart posting...stuff that i know just enough about to be nervous (about processed foods). i'll keep reading and learning!!!! *elizabeth

Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

I think nutrition is so important, yet so many cave into the "convenience" of processed foods. Food allergies have actually been a blessing for our family. It has made me much more aware of what we are eating. If there's more than three ingredients, I usually don't buy it. And fresh foods and organic. as much as possible. Now if it only didn't cost so much!

Amanda said...

Oh man, I am still in denial about my sugar addiction. I'm great about avoiding trans fats, cooking whole foods, even eating local and organic from our food co-op. But my sweet tooth gets me still. And my kids are even more addicted to ice cream than I am to cookies. *sigh* Baby steps, baby steps...

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!
I am glad I re-found you after some time....did you change blogs??

Anyways, we have been working on our food quality around here for some time. I am glad to have you in the trenches with me!