Monday, May 21, 2007

Teriyaki sauce in a flash

Tonight I made a dinner that my husband referred to as "the most frequently eaten meal in our house." I had never really thought about it that way but I do make it quite often - about 3 times a month or so.

I bake chicken thighs coated with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce and tonights sides were cous cous and broccoli. Fortunately since my hubby made that comment tonight I already had a different spin on things.

I didn't have any of my favorite teriyaki sauce on hand so I decided to make my own. I found a few recipes online that sounded good and I mixed and matched and just "eyeballed it" as Rachel Ray would say. My hubby raved about it, I thought it was even better than the other and my son said "This awesome!" (After about 5 times we figured out what he was saying!!)

Here are my guesstimates on amounts for a recipe:

Whisk together all of the following:

  1. 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
  2. 3 Tblsp Honey
  3. 1-2 Tblsp Rice vinegar
  4. 1-2 Tblsp Sesame oil
  5. 2 large cloves garlic minced
  6. a 1 inch piece of ginger minced
  7. 1-2 Tblspns sesame seeds lightly toasted over Med/High heat

I have rice vinegar and sesame oil as a staple in my pantry but I'm sure you can substitute other types of vinegar and oil and the final product would turn out just as well. Remember - I didn't measure anything - which is one reason I'm writing this so that I can try to remember for next time!!!!

BTW this took about 5-10 minutes, basically about the time it took my oven to preheat and I was ready to go.

16 comments:

Life With All Boys said...

I have my favorites too that I seem to make a lot. I try to ask the boys and my hubby what sounds good to them sometimes, but I'm cooking, I should choose. Right?!?!

And I'm so laughing about your news comment below. That is me. I had no idea about the stamps going up too!

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

Yum! Sounds good, and perfect with couscous, which is one of my favourites.

Stephanie said...

That looks easy! I wonder what my husband would say was our most served meal?

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I love teriyaki sauce!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Steph

Linds said...

I am going to try this too. It sounds good. Especially the in a flash bit!

Barb said...

Yep. Your recipe looks exactly right. I make my own all the time. It's always, always better than anything I've ever bought in a bottle.

Yellow said...

My hubby has been away all week. Looks so good I want to cook it up for him as a treat this weekend. Love your blog too.

New Mama's Nest said...

This sounds yummy! I'm big on making my own sauces, and the recipes I've used for teriyaki have always been a bit off... we'll be trying this soon!

Heaven Sent said...

Sounds delicious! I'm not very good about making my own sauces. I'll have to try this one.

Anonymous said...

I made the oatmeal banana cookies today. Wow! They are great. My son loves them. I ended up using honey instead of they maple syrup, and they turned out fine. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I really enjoy reading your blog.
Amy

Anonymous said...

I will have to try your teriyaki sauce also. It looks good. I really appreciate that your recipes are healthy. Thanks for sharing.
Amy

Heidi said...

Thanks Amy, Glad you liked them!!!

Jamie said...

Oh cool! I have all of those ingredients already, we might be doing some Teriyaki barbque this weekend.. :)

Thanks Heidi!

Alexandra said...

This looks so good...linking.

Beth said...

Thanks for this recipe. I haven't been a big fan of store-bought teriyaki sauce, so I'm looking forward to trying this. I already make sweet and sour sauce from scratch; it's so easy, much cheaper than the store, and my husband likes it more.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 T. + 1 tsp. corn starch
1/2 cup vinegar (I've used cider and white, and either taste ok)
2 T. soy sauce
2/3 c. pineapple juice drained from the pineapple chunks I put in the main dish

Cook over medium until thick.

Blackeyedsue said...

I am adding that to things that I can cook when I am healthy again. It sounds delish!!!