Monday, August 20, 2007

Our Daughter's Birthday Story (part one)

So it looks like my Dad ended up being the closest guess - crazy as it might be. But I'll buy him starbucks when he comes to visit in a couple days so there are 3 others that guessed the correct date and I'd love to send you all something - Heaven Sent, Ashlee from Mama's Nest, and Audrey from Pinks and Blues. Send me an email to thebutterflymama at gmail dot com with your snail mail address! And thanks for playing!

I'm feeling great. I'm rested and still resting too but really things couldn't be going better as we are all getting adjusted to our wonderful new family member. I wanted to share the first bit of her birth story with you all while I have a moment to type, it's much more slow going one handed but it's nice to have a cutie pie nursing as I go!!!

"Last Monday seems like a lifetime ago," my hubby casually said to me at some point this week. I smirked at him and we both shrugged since it basically was. My Dr. called me late that morning and said, "Heidi, you're still pregnant!" She had told me the Tuesday before that I was 3-4 cm and wouldn't make it to my next apt. Also she made that tempting offer that we could induce any day. I wanted to wait at least until my due date so that brings us back to Monday. With the next day being my due date she asked if I wanted to be induced that next morning. I was done so I agreed that I'd be at the birthing center the next morning at 8am.

I just have to add that watching my son that day was amazing. He and my Mom were making cookies and even though it took them at least twice as long to do it together sitting in the chair and seeing the look on his face made one thing clear. I know why I love to do those things with him and it was great to sit there and see his smiles and the look of satisfaction on his face while he was helping. It IS worth spending this extra time with our kids while they are little since they are only this big today, tomorrow they'll be bigger. (He now seems gigantic next to his little sis!)

Anyway, it was sort of a hard decision to induce vs. got naturally. I was nervous all evening even after my nurse called and explained everything. My husband has since mentioned that I never gave this decision to God and he was right, I didn't have much faith. Especially since I awoke with contractions at 4:00am my worry and emotion was unnecessary. When I woke up I also had the song "I surrender in my head which was a nice one to be singing going into labor.

Since this much has taken two sittings to type I'll write another segment tomorrow!


Adventures In Babywearing said...

Can't wait to hear the rest! And hope you are enjoying every moment with your sweeties!


New Mama's Nest said...

Can't wait to hear more! And so glad you're enjoying all those snuggles with your new girl!

Aunt Mimi said...

It just struck me to tell you what a special Mama you are!!!

Mamacita Tina said...

Aw, nursing while blogging, very sweet. I remember Ian looking absolutely gigantic also when we came home with Laurel, and he seemed so small beforehand.

Can't wait to hear more of the story, but take your time, you're busy!

Glass Half Full said...

With my first son I was supposed to go in the morning to be induced, but I ended up going naturally around 4am too. HA!

Can't wait to hear the rest....


Life With All Boys said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. Enjoy that sweet baby!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the rest!! So, you ended up going into labor naturally?? I'm dilated to 1!!! Maybe I'll go soon! I'm due in one week!

Heaven Sent said...

I've heard of so many people who start to go on their own the night before induction. So funny!

Can't wait to hear more details, but I agree, take your time. We all know what it's like those first few weeks home. Enjoy and keep getting that rest!